sports wrestling

IU wrestling competes in Keystone Classic

The wrestling team took part in its second tournament of the season at the Keystone Classic in 
Philadelphia.

The team has participated in this event many times, including a fifth place finish last year. IU brought home four podium finishers last year, including Nate Jackson’s first place finish in the 174-pound weight class.

This weekend brought more of the same. The Hoosiers had three podium finishers placing first, first and fourth respectively.

True freshman, Elijah Oliver, who finished third at the Eastern Michigan Open, took the title in the 125-pound weight class.

Oliver won the championship match against Jake Gromacki of Pittsburgh with a score of 12-1.

IU Coach Duane Goldman said he was impressed with Oliver’s performance and his ability to control his matches.

Goldman said Oliver found ways to control the match and make his opponents wrestle on his terms throughout the tournament, Goldman said he believes that helped him with his success.

Oliver improved throughout the tournament, something Goldman did not see at the EMU Open.

“He was in the finals last time and didn’t bring it like he could,” Goldman said. “This time he was ready, and really dominated the match.”

One of just two seniors wrestling at the classic, Alex Gregory placed fourth in the 157-pound weight class.

Goldman said he was proud of Gregory’s performance.

He also said that Gregory wrestled hard all night while showing lots of composure throughout the day.

Nate Jackson added to his success at the Keystone Classic. Jackson wrestled in his first IU tournament at the classic and followed that up with a win last 
season.

In this tournament, Jackson added to that success, repeating as champion of the 174-pound weight class.

Jackson impressed at the Keystone Classic, but there are improvements to be made in order to become a great wrestler in the Big Ten.

“He did a great job winning the tournament, but I think for himself there are some things he was not satisfied with,” Goldman said. “He wants to go from good to great, changes in that regard that he needs to make.”

The Hoosiers showed improvement from the first tournament, something Goldman said he was glad to see despite knowing the team is far from perfect.

Goldman said the team definitely showed improvement, especially the young guys, but that there are still plenty of improvements to be made before he could consider the team great.

The Hoosiers take the mat again Dec. 5 when the team plays host to Southern Illinois-Edwardsville in University Gym.

IU last played SIUE in the 2014-15 season when the Hoosiers won 28-12.