Indiana Daily Student Logo

IU Europe Gateway to provide new opportunities

caeuropeweb

By Laurel Demkovich

After attending ribbon-cutting ceremonies, inaugurations and openings, IU President Michael McRobbie’s five-day trip to Berlin ended last week.

While in Berlin, McRobbie inaugurated the IU Europe Gateway, the third facility of its kind after the establishment of similar offices in New Delhi and Beijing. It will allow students and faculty to have greater access to opportunities in Europe, McRobbie said at a ceremony to officially open the gateway.

Although McRobbie’s trip to Berlin has ended, the work with the gateway has only begun.

“The idea is that we are supporting and facilitating activities that are generated by IU faculty,” said Andrea Adam Moore, director of the IU Europe Gateway. “We are not creating events or programs for Indiana University. We want faculty and students ... to come up with ideas that we then can support.”

Moore said she hopes the office will to be a gateway into Europe for IU students and faculty so those who want to come through the office have a one-stop shop where they can get information and assistance.

The gateway will also allow students and other members of the University based in Europe to connect with IU.

Moore said she is there to make connections with local partners, including universities in Germany and Europe, museums, art institutions and schools. She works with these partners so they can work with IU faculty on their ideas.

Some ideas include working with the Jacobs School of Music and local music schools to allow students to perform in Berlin, having an economics conference and creating internships in Europe.

Hannah Buxbaum, IU law professor, is the academic director of the Europe Gateway. She has been working closely with Moore to develop the programs for the gateway.

Basing the Gateway office in Berlin means IU is able to build on some very strong existing partnerships in Germany, Buxbaum said.

“We have long-standing relationships with both the Free University and the Humboldt University in Berlin, as well as with a number of other German universities,” Buxbaum added.

Moore said she hopes the office will give German partners a closer connection to IU and expand relationships and partnerships with German universities.

“We hope it will be more Indiana students coming to Berlin and Germany and Europe in the future,” Moore said. “And that is something that’s important to our German partners here.”

More faculty and research collaboration will be going on between German scientists and scholars and IU faculty, she added.

The gateway’s office will be located in the Global Institute-Berlin of the Council on International Educational Exchange, which opened Nov. 4. It is located in Berlin’s Kreuzberg district.

“The central location will make it easy to work with all of our partners in other countries throughout Europe,” Buxbaum said.

Having the office in the CIEE will also allow the gateway to host short-term trips and conferences in its office suite as well as large, long-term programs using the CIEE’s event space, Moore said.

“They have really state-of-the-art technology there, too, for us to use,” she 
added.

Growing up in Germany and living in the United States for ten years, Moore said she noticed many German students have only heard of Ivy League universities or schools along the coasts.

Moore said she hopes her office can work to increase the number of German students studying at IU.

“We hope that Indiana University will be better known in Germany and in Europe,” she said. “Very few people have ever heard of Indiana University, and that we want to change.”

Like what you are reading? Support independent, award-winning college journalism on this site. Donate here.