COLUMN: Proactive ways to protect your lady box

During a recent checkup at the IU Health Center, I was filling out a health questionnaire when I realized there were several questions I could not answer.

When was my last Pap smear? Had I even gotten one before?

Yes, I sound foolish. But I was unsure. The nurse practitioner recommended that I should, since I was 21.

And in light of tragic events at a Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs last Friday, I’d like to remind everyone of the numerous health services Planned Parenthood provides that have absolutely nothing to do with “baby parts.”

So here’s a quick breakdown of some reproductive services us college-aged 
ladies might need.

A Pap test screens for cancers or precancers in the cervix, according to womenshealth.gov. It checks the cervix for abnormal cell changes, which, if not treated, might lead to cervical cancer.

Women need a Pap smear to detect potentially cancerous cells to prevent cervical cancer. The Office on Women’s Health, a section of the United States Department of Health and Human Services, states “women ages 21 to 65 should get Pap tests as part of routine health care — even if you are not sexually active.”

Though some women might need more frequent Pap tests, you should get one every three years.

The Affordable Care Act also covers Pap tests, so most insurance plans will pay for them. Thanks a lot, Obama.

Human papillomavirus, or HPV, tests are done as a follow-up to a Pap test that finds abnormal cells or unclear results. For women 30 or older, HPV tests can be done at the same time as Pap tests, according to Planned Parenthood.

To prevent cervical cancer, Planned Parenthood recommends getting regular screenings, using condoms and talking with your doctor about whether you should get the HPV vaccine.

The most common feminine problem us ladies face is a yeast infection, or vaginitis.

According to Mayo Clinic, vaginal yeast infections affect up to three out of four women in their lifetimes. Some women suffer from recurring infections — four or more within a year.

I’ll refrain from listing the symptoms here, but you’ll know when something down there is off.

Though opinions certainly diverge, I believe women 18 or older should be on some form of birth control, whether they are sexually active or not.

The IU Health Center Women’s Health clinic provides all the services I mentioned, and plenty more I could not cover here.

The clinic provides STI testing, routine exam and Pap testing, education for birth control options, evaluation of problems like vaginal infections and irregular periods and counseling for abnormal pap results.

It also provides testing for infections related to sexual assault through Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner. If you need help, get help.

Get checked out. Your vagina will thank you later.