COLUMN: How To Dress for Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is right around the corner, and it is important to dress for multiple purposes: looking good, feeling good and, of course, eating well.

One challenge in dressing for the holidays is dressing for warmth while preparing to be surrounded by a lot of hungry people tightly packed at a dining room table.

Another challenge is incorporating style with comfort — no one likes to sit down for a long meal in uncomfortable attire.

Here are a few ways to approach the pre-dinner outfit drama and ensure coziness while sitting at your dinner.

Layers

As with all fall fashion, we turn to layering shirts, skirts, socks and tops. Head to your closet for a basic short- or long-sleeve tee, slip on a vest or cardigan and accent a pair of jeans with knee-high socks and boots. To dress for the season, stick to neutrals — browns, off-whites and grays — to give off the warmth of Thanksgiving spirit.

Shift Dresses

A basic shift dress is flowy and comfortable — the shape is flattering on the arms and flows smoothly over the torso to elongate your figure. Stick to a long-sleeve shift dress in a neutral tone to embrace the seasonal mood. Slip on a pair of patterned tights to keep your legs from freezing while adding flare to a basic outfit. This is a versatile look that can be paired with booties or heels and is easy to dress up or down. Accessorize with a long necklace to direct attention to your shape.

Jumper

A funky jumper is a holiday favorite and is a perfect look for hiding a post-Thanksgiving meal tummy. Jumpers are easy to move around in and don’t require additional accessories or bold shoes to compliment a perfect look. Add some basic jewelry and you are sure to be one of the most fashionable guests at the table.

Faux Fur

If you are really looking to stand out, slip on a faux fur vest over a basic long-sleeve shirt. This is a look that does not need additional accessorizing — you do not want to over-do the outfit. Pair with a destroyed denim jean, especially black or dark wash, and basic flats or chunky slip-ons.

Schoolgirl Chic

If you are into hipster fashion, try a pleated skirt in plaid with a cozy knit turtleneck. This outfit works for keeping cool around the table, but warm when you step outside. Find a pair of basic tights to elongate your legs and slip on a pair of seasonal sandals or booties to accent the look.

The most important part of Thanksgiving is being together, but it does not hurt to add exciting features to your outfit — a bold set is always a great conversation-starter.