Workshop will provide support for Bloomington neighborhood projects

Bloomington’s Housing and Neighborhood Development Department has invited residents interested in neighborhood improvement projects to a workshop titled “Neighborhood Heart and Soul.”

Phil Stafford, a cultural anthropologist, will lead the workshop, which will convene from 9 a.m. to noon Oct. 24 in the City Council Chambers, according to a press release.

Program manager Vickie Provine said the purpose of the workshop is to give residents who want to create projects practical advice, “that expertise to go through it and have resources to help make it happen.”

Activities will help workshop attendees reflect on what they like most about their neighborhoods and what they might want to add or change.

They will be encouraged to examine what drew residents to their neighborhoods and possible projects for the future, according to the press release.

Stafford is the director of the Center on Aging and Community. He has studied aging services for 35 years, according to the Center’s website.

Past neighborhood improvement grant projects include a Bryan Park beautification project, neighborhood signs in Broadview and Arden, a playground in Crestmont and a sculpture for Crescent Bend, according to the City of Bloomington’s website.

The workshop is free for neighborhood residents, according to the press 
release.

Registration is not required, but those who register by Oct. 19 will receive a map of their neighborhood or area, Provine said. The map will be used as a tool at the workshop.

Those who do not live in an area with a neighborhood association can learn more about how to form one and how HAND can help with the project at the workshop, according to the press release.

For more information, contact Vickie Provine, program manager, at 812-349-3505, provinev@bloomington.in.gov.