Why Chase Utley should and shouldn't be suspended

Dodgers infielder Chase Utley might have ended the New York Mets’ chances of winning the World Series after a controversial slide into second base that broke the leg of infielder Ruben Tejada in game two of the National League Division Series.

The play came in the seventh inning on a ground ball hit by infielder Howie Kendrick up the middle. With Tejada covering the bag and getting ready to receive the throw and make the turn for a double play, Utley collided with him.

Even though Utley was allowed to remain in the game, he later was issued a two-game suspension for an illegal slide, which he has since appealed.

The slide has created controversy in baseball that has people asking for an immediate rule change and even a suspension for the duration of the playoffs for Utley.

There’s no question that the slide was bad, but was it an illegal slide? Yes and no, and here’s why.

Yes, according to the Official Baseball Rulebook 5.09(a)(13), which says a runner may not leave the baseline for obvious reasons to crash into the pivot man, what Utley did was illegal.

A baserunner also cannot pass the bag before making contact with the defender, and Utley did.

Based on the rulebook, Utley’s suspension is well-deserved. However, the rulebook is also what makes 
Utley’s slide seem legal.

Flashback to Sept. 14, 2010, when Utley performed the exact same slide on Tejada during a regular-season game between the Philadelphia Phillies and the Mets.

One year later, during the 2011 National League Championship Series against the St. Louis Cardinals, Utley performed yet another take-out slide on infielder Ryan Theriot.

Utley was not suspended or ridiculed for these plays because he did exactly what young kids are taught in the early stages of little league: break up the double play.

The reason analysts are calling this slide “dirty” is the fact that it resulted in a 
broken leg.

However, looking back at the play in its entirety, the injury is more of Tejada’s fault than Utley’s.

Tejada fielded the throw at second like a first baseman. Even though the throw was off target, Tejada, a veteran player, should know Utley is coming in, based on the fact that Utley has done it to him before and because that is common baseball 
knowledge.

Instead, Tejada fielded the throw with his leg vulnerable to any slide, not just Utley’s, and then turned the wrong way to try to throw across his body while spinning in the air to get the runner, who was clearly going to be safe, at first base.

I would have to say it’s more of a freak accident than an intentional act by Utley, who is not known around the league for being that type of player.

Hypothetically, if Tejada gets up and walks away 
unscathed, is there a 
suspension? Probably not.

But since there was an 
injury, action was taken.

“A two-game suspension for a legal baseball play is outrageous and completely unacceptable,” Joel Wolfe, Utley’s agent, said in a statement. “Chase did what all players are taught to do in this situation: break up the double play.”

Hall of Famer Craig Biggio expressed his sympathy toward Tejada and his injury but said he hopes the league does not change the rules again.

“I just hope the game doesn’t change the way they did with the home-plate thing,” said Biggio, referring to Giants catcher Buster Posey’s collision in 2011. “This game is played by big men. They’re fast, and unfortunately sometimes things are going to happen. ”

Unfortunately, to the dismay of the former players, there will in fact be other rule changes in baseball by the time Spring Training 2016 starts.

More importantly, I think there needs to be some serious conversations during the offseason about what the rulebook states, and that rulebook is used throughout the whole season.

Because once the playoffs start, losing a veteran like Utley on a play that hasn’t been punished all season can cost a team the World Series.