sports men's soccer

Senior brings leadership to team

Senior midfielder Matt Foldesy keeps the ball from a defender during a game against Ohio State on Saturday night at Jerry Yeagley field. The Hoosiers lost 1-0 in overtime.

Matt Foldesy used to play up top, but these days he said he is content with sitting at the base of the midfield to protect the backline.

Standing at 5-foot-6, the senior midfielder does not possess an imposing figure for a player that is required to make tackles and to break up the opponent’s plays.

“I just like playing good soccer, and so if I can do that and if we can together as a team, build the ball up and play well, that’s really all that matters,” Foldesy said. “If Tanner (Thompson) scores, it’s awesome. We win a game.”

Foldesy’s teammates and IU Coach Todd Yeagley do acknowledge his work and his qualities.

Foldesy’s role somewhat mimics the quarterback in football, as he is looked upon to initiate offensive moves, but his role requires a little more as he is expected to guard the backline and also join the attack if needed.

The Ohio native transferred from the University of Akron in 2014, and in his first season with the Hoosiers, he scored two goals and racked up four assists in 22 games.

Foldesy equaled last year’s goal tally when he scored in IU’s 4-0 victory over IU-Purdue University Indianapolis.

“It’s nice to score, it’s nice to help out,” Foldesy said. “I won’t say it’s my strong suit, but it’s nice to help the front guys out when I can.”

Goals may not be the best way to judge his contribution to the team as goal scoring is not his main responsibility.

His teammates are more than appreciative of the work he does from the base of the midfield.

“Foldesy brings a lot of leadership because he’s a senior now,” said sophomore defender Grant Lillard. “He knows what spots he needs to be in and when he needs to be there, and on the ball he’s one of the best we have and I have full confidence in him.”

His leadership, skill on the ball and ability to read plays before they happen are qualities Yeagley said he believes make Foldesy excel in the role.

“He’s the box-to-box guy, he links a lot of things. He’s a smart player,” Yeagley said. “He makes Tanner better, he makes Frankie (Moore) better and when he is he in good form, we’re a better team.”