sports men's soccer

IU strives to keep momentum against IUPUI

spIUMS

Two weeks ago the Hoosiers were faced with an obstacle. After losing 4-1 against Rutgers, IU was in danger of letting its season slip away.

What followed in the next two weeks was an influx of leadership, accountability and renewed focus on details. And IU will take a three game-winning streak into Wednesday’s game against IU-Purdue University Indianapolis at Bill 
Armstrong Stadium.

“I think the focus and the energy just got better from everyone,” senior midfielder Matt Foldesy said. “We just went from there and got some good results and now we’re starting to get back to playing good Indiana soccer.”

Foldesy and senior midfielder Kyle Sparks said the Hoosiers are playing their best soccer of the season after what may have been their worst.

IU became more accountable as a team in these last two weeks, IU Coach Todd Yeagley said. Leaders emerged on a team without natural leadership.

“I think the obstacles we were faced with two weeks ago was what the team needed to break out some leadership,” Yeagley said. “Sometimes that adversity is what you need.”

Yeagley said he likes the absence of natural leaders on the team. It creates a balance among the leadership, a balance also present in how the Hoosiers have been playing in this recent stretch of success.

“I think sometimes when you have balance in your leadership you’re sometimes in a better situation,” Yeagley said.

The Hoosiers have risen to No. 24 in the NCAA Rating Percentage Index, the highest of any team in the Big Ten, after its 3-2 overtime win last Wednesday at 
St. Louis.

The win was the first overtime win for the Hoosiers since the 2013 season.

“Knowing that we can do it, mentally knowing that even if it goes into overtime that we can win games,” Foldesy said. “That confidence, day-in and day-out is really going to help us.”

But as the Hoosiers prepare to work toward their first four-game win streak since 2012, when they won the national championship, they know they can’t stop focusing on the details and can’t stop improving, Sparks said.

Even though IUPUI is winless after nine matches this season, that doesn’t mean the Hoosiers can cruise by Jaguars. Last week, IUPUI went on the road and tied then-No. 8 Denver.

It’s also been these mid-week games that have put the Hoosiers in a good place nationally, Yeagley said. Even though IU has relatively struggled in the Big Ten this season, mid-week wins have kept its RPI among the country’s best.

Yeagley also said he wants to keep the momentum of his team going forward before a Big Ten match this weekend and the Hoosiers can’t afford a setback after all the positive steps they’ve taken these past two weeks.

With a 1-2 Big Ten record this season, IU will begin its homestand in preparation for its fourth conference game versus Ohio State.

“We control a lot in our hands right now,” Yeagley said. “After having a couple tough losses, that’s a good 
position to be in.”