sports women's soccer

IU shut out in final game of season

Senior Jessie Bujouves works her way through Purdue University's defense on Wednesday night. IU lost the game 2-0.

With seven minutes remaining in Wednesday’s game against Purdue, senior defender Emily Basten was called for an unintentional handball in the box. There was nothing Basten could do.

As a final blow, Purdue’s junior forward Maddy Williams subsequently placed the penalty shot past senior goalkeeper Sarah Stone. There was nothing Stone could do.

For the first time in the careers of IU’s senior class, IU was not able to win the Golden Boot trophy as Purdue took the victory, 2-0, at Bill Armstrong Stadium.

Prior to the season finale against Purdue, IU Coach Amy Berbary honored the careers of seven seniors that stuck with her when Berbary took the job in 2013.

Those seniors not only grew accustomed to Berbary’s program in the past three seasons but also learned to enjoy the feeling of hoisting the Golden Boot trophy. IU had managed to defeat Purdue in each season under Berbary.

This year’s senior class had been through it all, Berbary said. Following a winning season in Berbary’s inaugural campaign, the Hoosiers made a magical run into the second round of the NCAA Tournament in 2013. However, the past two seasons resulted in an absence of a Big Ten tournament appearance, as the Hoosiers battled constant injuries and inexperience.

On Wednesday night the senior class witnessed something unfamiliar take place at the center of Jerry Yeagley Field, as IU glanced toward Purdue’s celebration of the Golden Boot.

“It’s not a great feeling, but there’s nothing you can do now,” senior midfielder Jessie Bujouves said of Purdue’s celebration. “I felt confident that I gave it all I could and, if that’s what happened, I can’t be more proud of myself and proud of this team.”

The loss to Purdue epitomized what had been an unsuccessful season to IU. The team was forced to seemingly put together a different lineup every weekend due to injury and inexperience.

“I truly believe that we can make our own luck,” Berbary said. “When is enough going to be enough? We haven’t had a break all year. What makes you think that it’s our last game, against Purdue, at home, for the Golden Boot, that we’re going to catch a break? We certainly didn’t catch one tonight.”

The second half against the Boilermakers was dominated by the Hoosiers, both in possession and offensive chances.

“I thought we looked good today,” Berbary said. “Especially in the second half. We had our chances, we had a point-blank header. We had a ball that went right into the stomach of a falling goalkeeper. I don’t even know how to describe it, it’s just the story of the season.”

Despite another negative result in a season full of them, IU’s seniors turned their attention to the future of the program. Bujouves was vocal about where the Hoosiers are headed.

“It’s not the season we wanted,” Bujouves said. “The weird thing is that although it’s sad that we lost, I’m excited for the future. I don’t feel like I’m necessarily leaving. I mean yeah, I’m never going to put on an Indiana soccer jersey again, but I’m sure going to follow this program.”

After Bujouves heard the final whistle in her collegiate career, IU’s leading scorer went up to sophomore forward Mykayla Brown, who tore her ACL before the season had even started.

“As soon as the game ended I hugged Mykayla and told her that she better score against them next year,” 
Bujouves said.