IU November exhibition game announced

By IDS reports

IU Athletics announced Monday morning that the IU men’s basketball team will be hosts to the University of Ottawa at 7 p.m. Nov. 3 in an 
exhibition match-up.

The Gee-Gees were the only team to defeat the Hoosiers during their five-game exhibition trip to Montreal during the summer of 2014 before last season.

The University of Ottawa finished second in Canada in each of the last two seasons, finishing 31-3 against Canadian competition in 2014-15.

“The Ottawa program is widely considered one of the two best programs in Canada,” IU Coach Tom Crean said in the release. “James Derouin (2014-15 Canadian National Coach of the Year) of Ottawa is one of the premier coaches in all of Canada, and we played them a year ago, and lost to them in Montreal. We had a very hard time covering their perimeter and 3-point shooting. We are anxious to match up with them again.”

Troy Williams scored 27 points and James Blackmon Jr. chipped in 20 as the Gee-Gees rallied in the fourth quarter to defeat the Hoosiers, 109-101, two summers ago.

Two of Ottawa’s top three scorers from that game will return this season. Senior point guard Mike L’Africain, who scored 27 points, and guard Vikas Gill, who netted 21, will play in Assembly Hall next month.

During the course of the last three summers, the Gee-Gees have defeated Murray State, Vermont, the University of Illinois-Chicago and TCU.