IU Deputy Athletic Director assisted in discovering Louisville escorts

The University of Louisville has begun investigations into a former staff member for allegedly hiring escorts for players and recruits.

The university was inadvertently tipped off by IU Deputy Athletic Director Scott Dolson, who forwarded an email request to identify a former Louisville basketball player in a picture from 
Mickey Maurer.

In addition to being an IU booster, Maurer is the namesake of the law school on the Bloomington campus.

Maurer was trying to identify a photo for a book being published by the Indiana Business Journal Book Publishing.

“Indiana officials learned of the Louisville investigation and the contents of the book today through media reports, the same time it was made public,” IU Athletics announced in a press release Friday evening.

After being connected to Louisville Executive Senior Associate Athletic Director Kevin Miller and Senior Associate Athletic Director for Media Relations Kenny Klein, Maurer revealed the book “will not be favorable for the U of L image.”

After hearing this, Dolson apologized via email to Miller and said he was unaware Maurer was “going in that direction.” He said the possibility of the photo having negative repercussions toward Louisville “blindsided him.”

“At no time did Indiana University have contact with the NCAA on this issue, contact a member of the media or act in malice in any way towards Louisville,” IU Athletics said in the release.

The book is authored by Katina Powell, who allegedly was paid by Andre McGee, a former graduate assistant and director of basketball operations for the Cardinals, for services with escorts.