Event raises carbon monoxide poisoning awareness

When Lindsey O’Brien Kesling fell asleep one night in November 2010, carbon monoxide wafted through the ventilation systems into her bedroom from a car idling in the garage beneath her room.

Unaware of the poison’s presence, Kesling died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Since then, her mother, Dot Kesling, has been on a mission to reduce the number of accidental carbon monoxide deaths per year. She established the Lindsey O’Brien Kesling Wishing Tree Foundation in 2011 to raise awareness about carbon monoxide poisoning and award scholarships to students interested in performing arts.

Kesling said her daughter was an artist and she wanted her to continue to inspire others to create art.

“I wanted to continue how she lived by blessing others,” Kesling said.

On Thursday, the Boys and Girls Club of Bloomington sponsored an event to raise awareness about carbon monoxide poisoning.

CeeCee Kaylor, community outreach manager for the foundation, said the Boys and Girls Club will promote fire safety throughout October. The foundation decided to have an event to distribute carbon monoxide detectors since people were beginning to use fireplaces, heaters and furnaces.

“There’s all kinds of scary things that happen in the fall,” Kaylor said.

Fifteen-year-old Charlie Brown, one of the volunteers, asked parents to sign a petition that would put carbon monoxide detector regulation into law.

“I’m volunteering because I’m trying to serve justice,” Brown said. “I don’t think a child should die before their parents.”

He asked a woman who signed his board if she had a carbon monoxide detector. When she said no, he walked off and returned with a brand new detector.

“It’s free,” Brown said.

Kesling her primary goal is legislation requiring carbon monoxide detectors in homes.

“I’ve told several (lawmakers) it’s not a matter of ‘if,’ it’s ‘when,’” Kesling said.

Nearly 430 people died every year of carbon monoxide poisoning from 1999-2010, a study published by the Centers for Disease Control 
reported.

There are currently no laws in Indiana regarding carbon monoxide detectors, but Kesling said she has talked about raising money for a lobbyist.

In the meantime, the foundation will continue to raise awareness and fund artistic students in need of scholarships while Kesling continues to fight for official legislation.

“I think the family has turned their grief into something beautiful,” Kaylor said.