Dogs race, perform at Bloomington's annual Barktoberfest

Rachel Hopf (left) and Emily Kagemann (right) walk their dogs Bobby and Loki during the dog parade.

Nearly 200 participants, many accompanied by their dogs, participated in the 20th annual Run For the Animals, a 5K race or walk, all the proceeds of which benefit the programs and services of the Monroe County Humane 
Association.

Barktoberfest, which occurred both during and after the race, included vendors offering microchipping, nail trims and dog stenciling. Additionally, there was an off-leash dog play area, dog agility and a host of other activities for both families and dogs.

“This event is so important to the MCHA and our ability to provide so many programs and services that would otherwise not exist in our community,” Rebecca Warren, executive director of the MCHA said.

MCHA is dedicated to protecting animal rights and educating people about animal welfare, she said. MCHA aims to provide and work toward a more humane future for Monroe County pets by combating animal cruelty, providing spay and neuter assistance and emergency medical care as well as guidance for better health care for pets, Warren said.

“This is a community that loves their animals and we love seeing all the dogs come out,” Warren said.

Many attendees gathered as Flying Paws Agility, a local group that offers dog agility classes and training, showcased their dogs maneuvering through an agility obstacle course. The dogs jumped over hurdles, zigzagged through poles and dashed through an open tunnel.

Aobo Zou and his dog, Milo, a Husky and Shiba Inu mix, were the first owner-dog pair to finish the race.

After picking up Milo last year from an animal shelter managed by the MCHA, Zou said he wanted to reciprocate the support the MCHA has shown him.

“I just wanted to come out and support the animals and support the cause,” Zou said.

There were three contests throughout the day: most photogenic dog, best trick and best dog costume.

Owners and dogs lined up as they paraded in front of a panel of three judges. Most photogenic was awarded to Dolores, a four-year-old pitbull with a sleek grey coat.

The crowd was impressed as Selena Howard said, “bless you” and Massie, her black Pomeranian and Yorkie mix, sneezed on command.

“It’s the most unique trick I’ve ever seen a dog do,” Howard said. “People don’t believe me when I tell them my dog sneezes on 
command.”

Best costume was awarded to Grover and Hazel, a mutt and miniature schnauzer respectively, who posed as a motorcycle gang, wearing a black leather jacket and leather helmet.

Warren said she is encouraged by the communal support and will continue striving to promote animal welfare and educate pet owners.

“By educating the next generation of pet owners we’re hoping that one day this community doesn’t need us,” she said. “But for now, they certainly do.”