Concert and Symphonic Bands to perform

entConcertBand

Tuesday’s Concert Band and Symphonic Band concert will be river themed. But that wasn’t originally the plan, said Eric Smedley, an assistant professor of music and the assistant director of bands at the Jacobs School of Music.

Smedley said he noticed the theme after the repertoire was announced.

“The river theme was kind of a happy accident,” Smedley said.

The Concert Band and the Symphonic Band will perform at 8 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 6, in the Musical Arts Center. Jason Nam will conduct the Concert Band, and Smedley will conduct the Symphonic Band.

Smedley said one of the highlights of the concert is Gustav Holst’s “Hammersmith: Prelude and Scherzo, Op. 52,” which will be performed by the Symphonic Band. It depicts a nostalgic remembrance of the Holst’s school days in London near the Thames River, he said.

“It’s a mature, complex piece by Holst, written near the end of his life,” Smedley said. “It’s a cornerstone piece in the band world.”

Nam, who is a visiting assistant professor and assistant director of bands at the music school, said the Concert Band pieces, “Savannah River Holiday” by Ron Nelson and “Rio’s Convergence” by Justin Freer, are part of the river theme.

The Concert Band will perform Nelson’s “Savannah River Holiday (1955/1973),” Aram Khachaturian’s “Armenian Dances (1943),” Charles Ives’ “Fugue in C (arr. after ‘Chorale’ from ‘String Quartet No. 1: “From the Salvation Army”’) and Freer’s “Rio’s Convergence (2011).”

The Symphonic Band’s repertoire is John Mackey’s ”‘Night on Fire’ from ‘The Soul Has Many Motions’ (2013),” Steven Bryant’s “Suite Dreams from ‘Parody Suite’(2007),” Holst’s “Hammersmith: Prelude and Scherzo, Op. 52” and Ron Nelson’s “Rocky Point Holiday (1966).”

Nam said there is a high degree of musical skill in the ensembles.

“The musicians are very professional and prepared for the concert,” Nam said.

There is leadership from both freshmen and more experienced students in the Concert Band and Symphonic Band, Smedley said.

“We are all on a great team, and there’s a lot of leadership coming from everybody,” Smedley said. “It’s a really neat experience.”

Smedley said he teaches students to understand their part and where it fits into the bigger picture by uploading scores and recordings on Canvas.

One of the challenges of being in a band is learning how to balance and blend the sounds of the instruments because it involves a variety of brass, woodwind and percussion instruments, Smedley said.

Smedley said the instruments can easily be in conflict with each other, so the group must work together to create a harmonious sound.

In a band, students must meet high standards and be accountable because they are preparing for the future, Smedley said.

Smedley said the students are serious about music and are hard workers. By performing a concert with a variety of people who are all working toward a common goal, they learn how to be professional musicians.

“Most of them want to be performers someday,” Smedley said. “I look at it as an opportunity to prepare them for a professional 
experience.”