Chef brings flavor of Singapore to IU

Chef Norman Leow from Sodexo, Singapore serves food during the cooking demonstration for the fall 2015 Sodexo Global Chef Program Tuesday morning at the IMU.

Sodexo Singaporean chef Norman Leow went to the Indiana Memorial Union this week to give students and faculty a taste of Southeast Asian culture.

Leow said he is in the United States to share Singaporean cooking.

Leow’s two-day visit to IU, which took place Monday and Tuesday, was part of the 2015 Sodexo Global Chef Program. The program is designed to expose students, customers and staff to other cultures by introducing them to new flavors and culinary techniques.

“Because we are in so many countries — we’re in 80 some countries around the world — we operate thousands and thousands of businesses, so we have experts that we’re able to travel around,” said Chris Gray, the general manager of the IMU’s Sodexo-owned dining services.

During the spring and fall of each year, the program sends a dozen Sodexo chefs from around the world on a four-week tour of select cafes and dining halls in American universities, according to the company’s website.

“We want to have as much exposure to them as we possibly can,” Gray said. “Our company is very much a global thinking company.”

Given the vast amount of American colleges to which the company can send its global chefs, Gray said IU is lucky to have made the cut.

“It’s really a privilege to have him here, because only a few campuses get to be able to have the global chefs as they travel through,” Gray said.

During his visit, Leow demonstrated preparation of classic dishes from Singapore and other Southeast Asian countries.

Leow prepared meals with a variety of flavors and textures, including Leow’s personal favorite: chicken rice.

“Chicken rice is something that is very normative in Singapore,” Leow said. “It is a signature dish.”

In addition to helping guests develop their culinary skills and pallates, Gray said he hopes Leow’s visit will promote a greater awareness of the variation that exists amongst Asian cultures.

“Sometimes we think Asian food is just Asian food,” Gray said. “But really, there are very distinct differences in the foods of the different cultures,” Gray said

Guests were able to enjoy Leow’s creations during a lunch buffet Monday in the Tudor Room. His dishes were also featured as lunch menu items at the IMU food court’s Charleston Market on Tuesday, where he interacted with guests and answered their questions.

“It’s fun when people aren’t familiar with the food and they have a lot of questions, because then he can explain: This is what it is, this is the culture, this is why we cook it this way, this is why we serve it this way,” Gray said. “It’s really a teaching moment.”

A slow process that requires dedication and a willingness to learn, culinary abilities should not discourage students if they are unable to master the craft in a microwave minute, Leow said.

Leow said the most crucial ingredients to achieving success are those not actually listed on the recipe.

“Don’t just think about finishing the job,” Leow said. “Do it with passion, with love, so that the food you produce will come out much tastier.”