sports field hockey

IU players receive Big Ten awards

Sophomore Maddie Latino moves to evade a Northwestern defender on Sunday at the IU Field Hockey Complex. Latino was named Big Ten co-offensive player of the week for her performance in IU's victories over #16 Iowa and #14 Northwestern.

After a weekend with two upsets for the IU field hockey team, two players have received awards for their performances. Sophomore forward Maddie Latino earned Co-offensive Player of the Week honors, and freshman goalkeeper Noëlle Rother was awarded with conference Defensive Player of the Week and Freshman of the Week, the Big Ten 
announced Tuesday.

Latino tallied an assist against No. 16 Iowa on Friday in the 3-1 victory and scored two goals in the 3-2 win against No. 14 Northwestern on Sunday. Latino scored the game-winner Sunday off a breakaway assist by sophomore midfield Taylor Pearson to register her third game-winning goal of the season, which ties her for first in the Big Ten.

Latino is the first Hoosier to win since Audra Heilman received the award in 2014.

Rother, IU’s true freshman goalie from Hamburg, quieted the top two offensive attacks in the Big Ten this weekend. Rother recorded five saves and one goal allowed against Iowa and 12 saves with two goals allowed against Northwestern to earn the honors.

With the performances by Latino and Rother, IU was able to defeat two ranked opponents in back-to-back games for the first time since 2011.