Business fraternity begins rush process

Students in suits filled Hodge Hall 1006 to the brim Thursday evening. Delta Sigma Pi, one of IU’s business fraternities, had its first rush event at 8 p.m.

“Rush is designed to have as many brothers meet as many rushes as possible,” said senior Matthew Dunn, Delta Sigma Pi director of marketing. “So we have some events that are more formal and some that are a little more casual, like tonight.”

And though the dress code was business professional, the atmosphere was certainly relaxed. Fraternity president Matt Wisniewski introduced the rest of the officers with music and air horns before explaining the mission of the fraternity.

“Our motto is to build a better you,” Wisniewski said. “And that means whatever you want to be — whatever you want to do — Delta Sigma Pi is there to help you do that.”

The event was split between a presentation about the fraternity and time for students choosing to rush to socialize with current members of the fraternity.

Sophomores Natalie Canner and Bridget Barnes were among the students rushing.

“We both rushed last year and didn’t get in, so there’s a little bit of pressure,” Canner said.

Their experience is not uncommon among students trying to join the fraternity.

“Contrary to popular belief, rush is not always just a one-time thing,” Austin Welhouse, initiate speaker, said. “I had to rush three times, so just always try again. If I didn’t decide to rush again and then again, I wouldn’t be standing here talking to you now.”

“We do have our own sort of process about admitting members, but plainly it’s just about fit,” said Joseph Gawor, Delta Sigma Pi senior vice president and junior. “We want to be as inclusive as possible, and so it all just ends up to be about if you’re interested and excited.”

There are, however, a few requirements for membership in Delta Sigma Pi. Students must have a major in the Kelley School of Business, the School of Environmental and Public Affairs, the Liberal Arts Management Program, informatics or economics. They must also have a GPA of at least 3.0 and have at least three undergraduate semesters left at IU.

“We want people who are going to be able to go out there and be really good at their jobs and leave a mark on the world,” Gawor said.

Many members of the fraternity who spoke cited recruitment offers they had received from corporations due to their involvement in Delta Sigma Pi.

“It just has a lot of opportunities professionally and socially, and that’s why we want to get involved,” Canner said.

Though the room was packed with other students who wanted access to these opportunities, only about 20 or 30 students become new members of the fraternity each year, Gawor said.

“Rush is very intensive, but I know that afterwards you get out what you put in,” Barnes said. “And I plan on putting in a lot.”

The fraternity offers many opportunities for its members in community service and professional opportunities. They are involved with the Boys and Girls Club, the American Cancer Society, the IU Dance Marathon and the Little 500. They also offer professional seminars, résumé workshops, and mentor programs for students.

“Those are two of our pillars: professionalism and community service,” Gawor said. “It’s about creating a well-rounded person who understands the importance of philanthropy and community.”

Gawor said the third pillar of the fraternity is brotherhood.

“It’s about hanging out with each other and enjoying the years we have here,” Gawor said. “We don’t just want to be about those things that build a résumé, we want to also be that thing that lifts you up and lets you do fun things.”