A bigger deal

IU athletics extends apparel agreement with Adidas

Print

From IDS reports

IU athletics extended its apparel agreement with Adidas on Monday to one of the largest apparel deals in the country, IU Athletics Director Fred Glass announced Tuesday.

The eight-year agreement is worth $53.6 million and runs through 2024. Adidas will almost double its original annual commitment to IU from $3.7 million to $6.7 million.

“We are thrilled to continue our longstanding relationship with 
Adidas,” Glass said. “Having one of the nation’s largest equipment and apparel deals will have an enormous impact on IU, our teams, coaches and student-athletes. IU athletics and Adidas have enjoyed a tremendous history together, and we are excited to carry that tradition into the future.”

Adidas will continue to provide jerseys for IU athletics, and it will provide IU football with one alternate uniform each year, and men’s basketball will be provided with an optional alternate jersey.

President and founder of Navigate Research AJ Maestas, who was engaged by the athletic department to do a valuation study in preparation for this deal, said the agreement will be the 
fifth-largest in college athletics.

“Since 2004, we’ve worked closely with the Hoosiers to bring our best and most innovative footwear, apparel and accessories to all men’s and women’s sports,” said Chris McGuire, senior director of Sports Marketing at Adidas. “We’ve enjoyed a successful partnership with Indiana and look forward to continuing to collaborate to help their athletes perform at the highest level.”

IU coaches such as Tom Crean, Kevin Wilson, Todd Yeagley and Teri Moren 
offered support for the deal as well.

“We really appreciate the care and attention we all get from Adidas,” Crean said. “We look forward to the continued growth of the relationship.”

Adidas plans to provide IU with a full branding audit to ensure a consistent look across all 24 IU sports.

IU fans will be able to buy jerseys, hats, coaches’ shirts, performance apparel, outerwear and any other IU athletic gear at different retailers as well as the IU Varsity Shop.

“Our partnership with Adidas is one of confidence and trust,” Wilson said. “We really like and are very comfortable with their footwear and apparel, evidenced by Tevin Coleman signing with Adidas right out of school. We are excited to continue this partnership.”