sports men's soccer

IU men's soccer wins opening game of the season

Senior Femi Hollinger-Janzen evades a tackle from a St John's defender during IU's 1-0 win Friday at Bill Armstrong Stadium

IU got its season off on the right foot with a 1-0 victory over St. John’s in the Adidas/IU Credit Union Classic on Friday evening at Bill Armstrong Stadium.

A first half goal by junior Phil Fives was enough for the win as the Hoosiers dominated for most of the game.

“It’s great to get a win in the first game,” Yeagley said. “I mean whatever the case might be, getting a win in the first game is a great springboard for your team, and it gives you more confidence going forward.”

The Hoosiers started the game strong, replicating what they worked on during training and using the full width of the field to attack a St. John’s defense that was content with sitting deep.

The first noteworthy moment of the game came from the flanks. Freshman defender Andrew Gutman, who started on the left side of defense, cut in from the left flank and drove at the St. John’s defense where he was subsequently brought down, winning a penalty for the Hoosiers in the 
11th minute.

The penalty sparked a small protest from the St. John’s players, who felt that the decision was harsh, as Gutman seemed to have gone down easily. Senior forward Femi Hollinger-Janzen failed to put the penalty away, sending it wide right of the St. John’s goal.

The Hoosiers kept up the pressure on the St. John’s goal as they resumed their search for their opening goal. With much emphasis on attacking via the flanks, it was only apt that IU was up five corners to St. John’s zero 30 minutes into the match.

IU’s pressure finally cracked St. John’s as Fives opened the scoring in the 33rd minute. Transfer forward Ben Maurey received a long ball from deep, held it and knocked the ball out to the left for the streaking Fives.

Cutting in from the left, Fives left two defenders behind before firing it low and hard to the left of St. John’s redshirt freshman goalie Andrew Withers.

“It was a great little finish,” Yeagley said. “The play was on, to kind of play into Ben (Maurey) to get 
underneath it, Tanner (Thompson) drew the holding midfielder out, and it was a really nice design.”

IU went in search of a bigger lead as they continued attacking and sending crosses into the penalty area. Gutman in particular was strong down the left flank as he contributed a few dangerous looking balls into the box.

The second half was less eventful, as the Hoosiers were content to hold on to the lead.

Fives came close to getting his second in the 76th minute but his shot from outside the box was blocked by Withers.

The final few minutes saw St. John’s in search of an equalizer, but the Hoosier defense held its fort.

“I thought we did well. We trained situations. That’s what we did for two or three days this week up and down the goal,” Yeagley said.

IU faced Notre Dame on Sunday. The Hoosiers are just one win away from retaining the classic title.

“I expect a really nice crowd,” Yeagley said. “Our students were phenomenal tonight — I look forward to having them out.”