sports women's soccer

Lady Hoosiers win season opener

From IDS reports

The IU women’s soccer team finally converted a goal into a victory.

IU defeated University of Missouri, 1-0, in West Lafayette on Friday in the Boilermaker Challenge Cup. After a scoreless first half, the embattled offense broke the scoreless slump.

The Hoosiers’ goal came from a header by IU redshirt junior defender Marissa Borschke from the top of the 6-yard box.

IU’s only other goal of the 2015 season so far was against No. 13 Virginia Tech in a 2-1 loss. Senior midfielder Jessie Bujouves placed that shot to close the gap in a narrow loss.

At the start of the first half, the Hoosiers were on their heels as Missouri played aggressively, earning a pair of early corners. While they started slow, the Hoosiers found offensive strength in their freshman players.

Freshman forward Maya Piper had an opportunity to put IU on the board in the 12th minute, but her header sailed high.

In the 23rd minute, freshman forward Cassidy Blacha also had a chance, but her shot went wide.

IU has not allowed a goal since surrendering two in the first half of its opening game against Virginia Tech.

While IU was outshot 13 to 11, its backline never surrendered. The Hoosiers continued to keep the score clean due to excellent play by IU senior goalkeeper Sarah Stone, who finished with six saves.

To start the second half, IU would finally break through after Borschke’s goal, whose impressive finish did not allow Missouri’s freshman goalkeeper Kelsey Dossey the chance to save it.

Following the goal, the Hoosiers, led by 
freshman forward Abby Allen, crashed the nets. Off the bench, Allen continued to stay aggressive and had a few chances of her own to score. The defense remained stingy and ensured a “team victory,” as Borschke called it.