Green to perform at the Bishop

On “Deeper than Love,” the fifth track on Colleen Green’s new album “I Want to Grow Up,” the garage rock musician ponders romance in the context of modern technology and growing older.

“Nowadays commitment seems like a burden to carry,” she sings. “I don’t wanna think about it — it’s too scary.”

“I Want to Grow Up” is the Los Angeles-based songwriter’s third full-length release and her current tour in support of it will bring her to Bloomington, with a show set for Sunday at the Bishop.

Green’s show is scheduled for 8 p.m. The show is 18-plus and admission is $8.

Predominantly, “I Want to Grow Up” sees Green exploring the tension between youthful idealism and adulthood as she enters her 30s.

“Her firm belief in true love is challenged by the inner turmoil caused by entering modern adulthood, but that doesn’t mean that her faith is defeated,” according to a press release from label Hardly Art.

Unlike Green’s previous offerings, which consisted of lo-fi and largely home-recorded garage pop songs, “I Want to Grow Up” was recorded in Nashville, Tennessee, at Sputnik Sound studio, according to the release.

Dan Coleman of Spirit of ’68 Promotions, which will present Green’s show at the Bishop, said he booked Green because she resists the formulaic tendencies of some buzzed-about indie rock acts while also keeping her feet in the ground of “fun, dumb rock ’n’ roll.”

“It’s hard to classify her,” he said. “She gets lumped in with the Burger Records, garage rock bands, but there’s an eclectic mix that comes through.”

Coleman also compared Green’s album’s youth-versus-maturity themes to Bloomington’s current music scene, which he said makes the city a fitting stop on her tour.

“We are a college town that has a very strong house show scene,” he said. “We’re caught between ‘Do we want to be a punk town, or do we want to be a Lotus Festival, intellectual oasis in Indiana?’”

Hardly Art described “I Want to Grow Up” as “an experience, not unlike life” filled with questions and risks.

“I think it’s a perfect time for her to come through,” Coleman said.