Bear's maintains place in comedy scene

Bear’s Place, home of the Hairy Bear specialty drink and weekly karaoke (“Bearyoke”) night 9 p.m. Wednesdays, is reestablishing its roots in the stand-up comedy scene.

Jeremy Stevens, general manager of Bear’s Place, said there is a rich history of comedy at the venue.

In 2005, Bear’s Place was rated among the top 10 venues in the nation for stand-up comedy, Stevens said, and the new owners wanted to pick up where that tradition left off.

“They thought it was a really big presence that we were already known for, so we wanted to continue that,” he said.

In order to do so, Bear’s Place hosts open mic comedy nights at 8 p.m. every Monday.

In addition, Stevens said they generally try to have a big-name comedian come about once a month, which are often free performances for those 21 and older.

“You don’t have to go out and spend $20 a ticket for a national act,” he said. “We’ve got a lot of big headliners.”

Bear’s Place has welcomed well-known comedians such as Ellen DeGeneres and Rosanne Barr to their event room, according to their website.

Stevens said they now focus more on locally-known artists.

“Whether it’s comedy, food, drinks — we’re trying to stay as local as possible,” he said. “Keeping everything local is the best way to go.”

Dan West, stand-up comedian currently living in Indianapolis, said he has been traveling as a comedian for seven years, including his time as a guest-host for the MTV Disaster Tour in August 2010.

He will record his stand-up album, “Smiling Practice,” at 8 p.m. Sept. 2 at Bear’s Place. The show is open to those 21 and older.

The show also features Tyson Cox, and opening performers Peter Heinz, Jessica Inlow and Griffin Leeds.

Kurt Messick will be host to the event.

West said he went to his first comedy open mic night after being medically discharged for sustaining injuries during his service in Iraq for the U.S. Army.

His friend was performing, and he was the designated driver, he said.

After telling a few army stories on the car ride home, West said his friend suggested he try his hand at the next open mic .

“And I did, and it went horribly,” he said. “But I got one really good laugh, and it made me hungry to keep going.”

West said the atmosphere at Bear’s Place is different from the traditional stand-up bar scene.

There are usually a lot of students in the audience, he said, who serve as a good crowd to test his material.

“I have a physics joke,” West said. “I could tell that joke at Bear’s if I wanted to.”

Aside from the audience, West said Bear’s Place has a historical value to it for comedians.

It’s historically an amazing comedy venue with legendary names that have gone through it, he said.

“I’m hoping to channel a little bit of that,” he said. “I’m not terribly superstitious, but I’ll take all the help I can get.”

Stevens said Bear’s Place has a casual and relaxed atmosphere, generally making comedians more comfortable about interacting with an audience.

“Overall, it’s just a good time,” he said.