Union Board announces IU Block Party line up

Capital Cities, Adventure Club, Action Bronson and Phoebe Ryan will make their way to Bloomington in late August as part of the third IU Block Party.

This year’s Block Party will start at 5 p.m. Aug. 22 with a free carnival. Students will get free food, as well as experience classic carnival games and rides. The carnival ends at 8 p.m. Doors for the concert will open at 6 p.m., and the concert is slated to conclude the Block Party at 1 a.m.

The concert and carnival will take place in the parking lot at the corner of Fee Lane and 13th Street, south of McNutt 
Residence Hall.

Union Board Director of Music James Diamond said the Block Party has grown each year, and he expects the trend to 
continue.

Boasting a diverse line-up, the concert should have something for everyone, 
Diamond said.

“We have a wide array of genres — we have some rap, we have some electronic music, some pop,” Diamond said. “I feel like it’s just gonna be good music that will really welcome the freshman onto campus.”

Capital Cities, formed in 2010, gained widespread success when their song “Safe and Sound” went multi-platinum in the U.S., Germany, Canada, Mexico and other countries, according to the band’s website.

Adventure Club is a Canadian electronic dance music duo formed in 2011 and featuring members Christian Srigley and Leighton James, according to the group’s Facebook page. The group describes its genre as “ClubStep.”

Action Bronson, a Queens, New York-based rapper who released his debut album in 2011, recently released his first major label album, “Mr. Wonderful.”

Phoebe Ryan is a Los Angeles-based artist who released her debut EP “Mine” on June 9.

Last year’s concert, with Skizzy Mars, B.o.B. and Krewella, had wide attendance despite a rain delay. Diamond said he expects this year’s concert to be very successful.

“I think the whole show is going to be the highlight of the block party,” Diamond said.

Tickets for the concert go on sale at 10 a.m. July 27 at a presale price of $20. Tickets will be available online at iuauditorium.com.

This story has been updated.