Theater department announces audition times

The Department of Theatre, Drama and Contemporary Dance has announced audition times for fall plays, which will begin the week before classes begin.

Auditions begin at 4 p.m. Aug. 20 at the Theatre Building, rooms A200 and the Studio Theatre, according to a press release from the department. Auditions will conclude at 10 p.m.

Callbacks will be Aug. 20-21, with times to be 
announced.

Henry Woronicz, who was previously involved with IU Theatre as King Lear in the department’s 2014 production of Shakespeare’s play of the same name, will return to IU as Judge Brack in “Hedda 
Gabler.”

Auditions for the 
season’s line-up are open to all students at IU-Bloomington, regardless of major, according to the release.

The department’s 2015-16 season was announced in late March and includes 10 productions running from September to April, according to a previous press release.

The season will begin with performances of Henrik Ibsen’s “Hedda Gabler,” starting Sept. 25 and running through Oct. 3. First performed in 1891, the play tells the story of a woman who seeks power as her society ignores her inner struggles. The production will be directed by Dale McFadden, the head of the Masters of Fine Arts directing program, according to the release.

Later, on Oct. 23, the department will produce “Mr. Burns, a post-electric play,” which will run through the end of the month. Directed by Jonathan R. Michaelson, department chair, it tells the story of a group of survivors in a dystopian American future who retell Simpsons episodes in an effort to create a shared past before the episodes take on a different 
meaning.

Other productions to be featured in the upcoming season include “Sweet Charity,” “Antigone,” “Macbeth,” “Noises Off” and “Bloody, Bloody Andrew Jackson.”

Tickets for IU Theatre productions are $25 for adults, $15 for students and $20 for senior citizens. For more information about the upcoming season, visit theatre.indiana.edu.