Tuesday, March 19

Philip N. Eskew re-elected as Alumni Trustee

Philip N. Eskew Jr. speaks during the "opening statement" section of the Board of Trustees trustee election forum.  He was chosen to receive the position of Alumni Trustee on the IU Board of Trustees.

Philip N. Eskew Jr. has been elected to a fourth term on the IU Board of Trustees. Eskew’s three-year term began Wednesday, according to an IU press release. 

Eskew was first elected to the board in 2006 and was re-elected in 2009 and 2012, according to his online profile.

Eskew, who earned his medical degree from the IU School of Medicine in 1970, is chair of the trustees’ facilities committee, a life member of the IU Alumni Association and a member of several IU advisory boards. 

Alumni trustee balloting closed at 11:59 p.m. Tuesday. Eskew was challenged by Jay Asdell, a South Bend dentist, and Mike Wilcox, superintendent of Richland-Bean Blossom Community School Corporation in Ellettsville, Indiana. 

“Congratulations to Phil on being selected by our alumni for another three-year term as trustee,” IU President Michael McRobbie said in the release. “Phil’s longstanding support for IU is well known, and he has made an indelible contribution to the University and the board over the past nine years. I look forward to continuing to work closely with Phil over the next three years.” 

Anna M. Williams, an IU Bloomington graduate student from Indianapolis, has been appointed student trustee for the University. 

Gov. Mike Pence appointed Williams to a two-year term on the board that also started Wednesday, according to the release. 

Williams is a dual master’s degree student at IU-Bloomington on track to graduate in May 2017 with a Master of Public Affairs from the School of Public and Environmental Affairs and a Master of European Affairs from the Institute for Europeans Studies, according to the release. 

Williams succeeds Janice Farlow, who earned a Ph.D. in May and is currently pursuing an M.D. from the IU School of Medicine. Farlow served as student trustee since July 2013, the release said. 

“I applaud Gov. Pence for selecting Anna to the Board of Trustees representing IU students and am delighted to welcome her to the board,” McRobbie said in the release. “I have every confidence Anna will build on the terrific work done over the past two years by Janice, to whom the University owes a great debt of gratitude for her service.” 

The governor appoints six members of the Board of Trustees, including the student trustee. IU alumni select the other three members, with one alumni seat becoming open each year. The student trustee serves a two-year term, and other trustees serve three-year terms. 

IU has a nine-member board of trustees. Williams will be the only student representative. 

Williams earned a bachelor of arts from IU-Bloomington in May 2010, with majors in international studies and psychology, academic concentrations in Western Europe and in nations, states and boundaries, and minors in political science and Spanish. 

She began her student career at IU-Purdue University Indianapolis. After two years, she transferred to IU-Bloomington, where she was heavily involved in campus activities, the release said. She was one of two students appointed to the Indiana Memorial Union centennial planning committee and served as a director of the IU Student Association Funding Board, which allocated $450,000 to more than 300 student organizations. 

As a graduate student, she has served as an associate instructor in the Department of Spanish and Portuguese and has been a representative to the Assembly of the Graduate and Professional Student Government the release said. 

“I am honored to serve IU as trustee,” Williams said in the release. “My Indiana University experience has been rich, and in embarking on this new chapter I hope to ensure equally meaningful opportunities for all of IU’s students. I am eager to serve Indiana and the University in reaching an even higher standard of excellence now and in the generations to come.”