Tuesday, March 19

opinion politics

COLUMN: Martin O'Malley the for Vice President

There is a special slot for the man dubbed "Best Manager in Politics"

Former Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley is in a strange position. The young, soft-spoken former head of the Democratic Governors Association, and the man once hailed as the “Best Manager in Politics” for his innovative use of data and analytics to improve government services, seemed poised to make a legitimate run for the White House — in theory.

However, Hillary Clinton’s dominance in the polls, his previous role as a Clinton surrogate in 2008 and a recent attack ad his campaign launched against Sen. Bernie Sanders, D-Vt., has led many to wonder if he is really simply running for vice president. I certainly hope he is.

So, why do we care about Martin O’Malley for vice ?president?

We all know about the hot-button issues which bring with them all the controversy and all the drama: immigration, entitlement reform, foreign policy, gun control, etc. And while a president’s stances on these issues are important, ultimately, it is hard to see the potential for much progress with this Congress. Besides, a vice president will likely have very little influence on these issues.

Remember what I said about the “Best Manager in Politics?” That is why we care. As both a mayor and governor, O’Malley virtually pioneered the use of data and analytics to improve the way government functions, and despite some concerns about race issues and criminal justice under his watch, he saw remarkable results.

As vice president in a Hillary Clinton White House, Martin O’Malley could embrace a role he was made for — Chief Operating ?Officer of the U.S. Government. Our country faces incredibly complex problems, and government has long had a reputation of inefficiency. Candidates on the right have pounced on this reputation and called for a return to “small government ?principles.”

But we don’t need a small government, we need a smart government. And cutting government for the sake of cutting government is not smart. The Obama administration has made incredible progress toward making our government smarter, more efficient and more effective. Just look at current Director of the Office of Management and Budget Shaun Donovan, who is lauded even by conservatives for his public management savvy.

A smarter government opens up the door to a host of opportunities. We have already seen how agency collaboration and data-driven policy can make significant progress toward ending veteran homelessness, while also saving taxpayers money — an initiative once spearheaded by Donovan as head of the Department of Housing and Urban Development. Smart government is the future, and it is going to be a key to solving the problems facing our country. But progress is never automatic. Electing a president who is committed to cutting government rather than making it better is a dangerous proposition which puts future generations at risk.