Medicare's birthday to be celebrated with pie

July 30 will mark 50 years since President Lyndon B. Johnson signed Medicare into law.

The national social insurance program revolutionized health care by providing disabled Americans and those aged 65 and older with health insurance regardless of income or medical 
history.

“The history of Medicare is quite remarkable, lifting millions of Americans out of poverty, integrating 1000 hospitals, relieving suffering for our grandparents and people who had no access to health care because of cost,” Karen Green Stone, the co-founder of Hoosiers for a Commonsense Health Plan, said in an email.

To mark the anniversary, Green Stone’s organization is partnering with the 
Bloomington-Monroe County League of Women Voters to organize a pie fest. The event will take place at 6:30 p.m. July 30 in room 1C of the Monroe County Public Library.

Festivities will begin with a presentation by Dr. Rob Stone titled “Does the U.S. Have the Greatest Healthcare in the World? (If Not, Would Americans Be Better Off with Medicare for All?)”

Green Stone noted this discussion is especially important since some current presidential candidates are vowing to dismantle Medicare. Attendees are encouraged to bring a pie to share.

“Medicare is as American as apple PIE — we need to Protect, Improve and Expand the health care program,” reads the press release announcing the event.