Local talent performing at Songwriter Showcase

The Bloomington Songwriter Showcase is presenting a variety of musical talents at the Player’s Pub this week, featuring artists from across south central Indiana.

This week’s performers are Steve “Bulldog” Johnson, Brandon Wilson, dwBrykalski and Marvin Parish, according to this week’s Songwriter Showcase newsletter.

The Showcase begins at 8 p.m. Monday. The Player’s Pub is open to all ages, so everyone is welcome to attend. Additionally, there is no cover charge for the showcase.

Johnson, a retired IU professor, has been performing and writing since he was a young man, according to the newsletter. He plays a bluesy guitar and sings with a vocal style similar to Burl Ives.

Wilson, from Carmel, Indiana, is new to the Songwriter Showcase and was featured on “Shine Indy Volume 1,” a compilation of performances by Indianapolis songwriters, according to his website. He’s been described as soulful, charismatic, heartfelt and passionate.

Brykalski, aka Dave Werihake, is a Bloomington resident who plays guitar, accordion and harmonica, according to the newsletter.

He has recorded with local artists including, but not limited to, John Mellencamp, Tim Grimm, Ray Boltz and Craig Brenner and the Crawdads, according to his website.

He considers his primary instrument to be the piano accordion, but also enjoys harmonica and Old Time Music guitar.

Parish began performing at the pub a few weeks ago, when he signed up for the open guest “Share a Chair” evening after watching a friend perform, according to the newsletter. Performing primarily rock, the Indianapolis native has been playing music since he was a teenager and has traveled across the country to play gigs, according to his website.

He was previously a member of the Whiskey Brothers, a rock band which released two albums and traveled across the south and the Midwest before breaking up. He now lives in and writes about Nashville, Indiana, according to his website.

The Songwriter Showcase on Aug. 3 will feature Joe Bolinger, Keith Skoogland, Megan Hopkins, John Bowery and Jamey Hood.

For more information about the Showcase, visit the Player’s Pub’s website at v .