College of Arts and Sciences gifted $4.46 million

Alumnus Lawrence M. Blatt gifted more than $4.46 million to IU-Bloomington’s College of Arts and Sciences on July 29.

Blatt received a bachelor of science in microbiology from IU in 1983. After graduating, Blatt worked in drug research and development for 30 years, according to an IU press release.

Now he’s a pioneering virologist and founder/CEO of Alios BioPharma Inc., a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company which develops therapeutics for a range of viral infections.

Funding for an array of new and ongoing endowments in the college will be provided from Blatt’s gift, according to the release.

“Larry Blatt is a remarkable example of a college alumnus who’s given back to his alma mater in a way that will have ripple effects through our faculty, students and research programs,” said Larry D. Singell, executive dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. “His generosity is allowing us to do so many things in the sciences, including attracting top faculty members and graduate students.”

$1 million of the funds will go toward establishing the Lawrence M. Blatt Biotechnology Internship Fund and the Department of Biology’s student-centered fund called the Milton Taylor Fellowship.

Another $1 million will establish the Lawrence M. Blatt Science Entrepreneurship Fund to support science students’ participation in entrepreneurial conferences and seminars in conjunction with the Kelley School of Business’ Johnson Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, according to the release.

The gift will also provide $2 million to endow a virology chair in the Department of Biology and create the Lawrence M. Blatt Fund for Translational Research in the Sciences.

“Training of the next generation of virologists is key to the continued fight against emerging and existing viral infections,” Blatt said. “It is my hope that the funding provided can continue the strong tradition of leadership at Indiana University in the areas of microbiology, virology and biochemistry, and that future work will lead to treatments and potential cures for these devastating diseases.”

Bailey Moser