Car vandalism plagues campus

From IDS reports

The IU Police Department reported three potentially related cases of car vandalism and mischief Sunday evening.

The first case occurred at approximately 3 p.m. at the Geological Survey Core off 10th Street after a car was reported to have had a rock thrown through the passenger side window. Nothing was stolen.

Police discovered a wallet which did not belong to the vandalized vehicle owner on the scene.

The following vandalism and mischief cases occurred at about 7 p.m. in the 13th Street parking lot, which is in close proximity to the Geological Survey Core.

The owner of a vehicle found their car was missing its stick shift. The vehicle was unlocked, so there was no sign of forced entry.

The stolen stick shift caused the incident to involve two police reports. The first report was for vandalism in the car from which the stick shift was detached, and the second report was recorded as theft from a motor vehicle because the stick shift was then taken. The same officer worked all three cases.

“He started putting things together and thought maybe the same individual was involved,” IUPD Lt. Craig Munroe said. “So he interviewed the suspect because he had the suspect’s wallet”.

The suspect said he was no longer in Bloomington. He was advised of his Miranda rights and then an interview was conducted over the phone, Munroe said.

The suspect told the reporting officer he had been at Kilroy’s on Kirkwood, left to go to his friend’s house and then became lost.

The officer filled out a probable cause for the potential suspect due to his vicinity and the time frame of the incidents.

While the police have a potential suspect for the cases, no arrests have been made.

All three incidents are still open cases.