Tours to take place through Kirkwood Observatory

The Bloomington Professional Council is hosting tours of the Kirkwood Observatory on Tuesday.  The tours are meant to showcase what the IU campus has to offer to Bloomington locals.

By Iann Singer

isinger@indiana.edu

The stars are a mystery that has compelled humankind for millennia. People have created countless mythologies and belief systems based on a primal wonder of the cosmic lights that hang above us. Only recently has science been able to form a real understanding of what exists beyond our planet.

The scientific pursuit of knowledge of the stars has led to the creation of astronomy schools like IU’s, and with these astronomy schools come the tools for instruction. The Kirkwood Observatory is one of these tools presented at the Know Your Campus event this Tuesday.

The Kirkwood Observatory is a place dedicated to obtaining and spreading knowledge of the stars to the general public. On Tuesday, June 30, the Bloomington Professional Council is hosting tours of the Kirkwood Observatory.

The Bloomington Professional Council is hosting these tours in conjunction with other events to showcase various features of the IU campus to the public.

These hour long tours will take place from noon to 1 p.m. and 4 to 5 p.m. They will showcase the building and all of its equipment to those who want to learn about both the stars and the station.

The Kirkwood Observatory is known to many as an IU landmark, but few students outside of astronomy classes have actually been inside the building.

Named after IU mathematics professor and discoverer of the Kirkwood Gaps, Daniel Kirkwood, the Kirkwood Observatory has been through a long series of renovations since its establishment in 1901, according to the School of Astronomy’s website. It is now currently used for outreach events and undergraduate classes. The observatory also has a solar telescope that is most commonly used for instruction. The tours will show these features and many more.

To attend this event, send an RSVP to bpcevent@indiana.edu by June 29th with the specific tour time that you are interested in. The Bloomington Professional Council staff ask to please meet at the Observatory a few minutes early on the day of the tour.

The Kirkwood Observatory is located between Bryan Hall and the Maurer School of Law. The Bloomington Professional staff suggest the best parking is located in the Henderson Garage.