Media School receives degree approval

The Media School has received approval from the Indiana Commission for Higher Education to offer two new degree programs.

The new degrees offered are a bachelor of science in game design and a bachelor of arts in media, according to a University press release.

The degrees were approved during the commission’s meeting June 11.

“These two degrees will allow students the flexibility and depth needed to tailor their curricula to the needs of converged media industries,” James Shanahan, dean of the Media School, said in the press release. “I’m excited that we’re ready to move forward immediately on this front.”

Students entering the school this fall will be able to begin working on these degrees, according to the release. Current students may choose new degrees or continue within the degree structure that was in place when they began their studies.

The bachelor’s degree in game design enhances programming that was started in the telecommunications department years ago.

“It’s game on in Bloomington,” said Edward Castronova, director of the game design program and chair of media arts and production. “We are thrilled to be helping the Media School start a new era of advanced studies in interactive media technology.”

The two new degrees, along with the bachelor of arts in journalism that was offered by the School of Journalism, will allow students to pursue a variety of subjects in media.

Within each degree are specializations and concentrations which will further enhance the structures of those degrees. All undergraduates in the Media School will take the same core courses, which will fulfill the liberal arts requirements of the degrees.

“Our mission is to be at the forefront of media development, educating students for roles that may not even exist now,” Shanahan said. “Our faculty have done an amazing job of putting together programs that will undoubtedly draw a great deal of student interest and that will parallel very nicely the research mission of the school.”

The Media School was established in July 2014, following the merger of the School of Journalism and the departments of telecommunications and communications and culture. It is incorporated in the College of Arts and Sciences.

The degrees were approved by the IU Board of Trustees earlier this year before they were sent to the Commission for final approval.

The school will offer master’s of science and master’s of arts degrees, which are not yet finalized, as well as a doctorate.

Holly Hays