Former IU forward Devin Davis transferring to Texas junior college

Devin Davis watches from the sidelines during IU's game against Ohio State on Jan. 25, 2015 at Value City Arena at the Jerome Schottenstein Center.

Former IU forward Devin Davis has committed to Odessa College, a junior college in Texas, according to Joshua Parrott of Basketball Times. Odessa went 20-9 last season. 

The 6-foot-7, 221-pound Davis and forward Hanner Mosquera-Perea were dismissed from the team on May 14 "for not living up to their responsibilities to the program" after Davis was cited for possession of marijuana on May 12. Mosquera-Perea was with Davis but was not cited.

Early in the morning of Nov. 1, 2014, Davis was struck by a vehicle driven by teammate Emmitt Holt and he suffered a traumatic brain injury. Davis was hospitalized in Bloomington before going to Indianapolis for rehabilitation. He sat out all of last season.

IU coach Tom Crean last updated Davis' progress at a press conference on April 22.

"He's doing everything everybody else is doing except he does not play and he doesn't get any contact," Crean said. "We'll know a lot better in the summer, but we may not totally know until we get into the school year, but am I projecting him to be here? Well, certainly in my own mind I am, but does that mean he is completely? Not yet. Medically speaking not yet.

"But as his coach, I certainly hope that he is, and we're certainly planning for him."

Twenty-two days later, Davis was dismissed.

As a freshman, Davis averaged 2.4 points and 2.6 rebounds per game. He is expected to make a full recovery.

Andy Wittry