Former IU Athlete runs for Alumni Trustee

Mike Wilcox, right, listens while Philip N. Eskew Jr. speaks during the question and answer section of the Board of Trustees trustee election forum on June 5.  The chosen candidate will receive the position of Alumni Trustee on the IU Board of Trustees.

Dr. Mike Wilcox is one of three men running for the alumni position on the IU Board of Trustees.

Wilcox said in his online candidate profile he is dedicated to making IU better and proposes to do so in three direct ways. He aims to focus on state support to the University, recruiting and maintaining our state’s best students and job placement for alumni.

State support to IU has dropped 30 percent in the last few years, Wilcox said in his candidate profile on the Trustees’ website. He says if elected he will meet and work with state legislators and stress how this trend must be ended, if not reversed. He said he knows the University cannot expect to maintain a level of excellence without proper resources.

Wilcox said some of these proper resources upholding the greatness of IU are the University’s staff and faculty members. Staff must be maintained to support students at the high level of academic excellence of the University.

The IU faculty and staff are vital to the educational and economic aspirations of the entire state of Indiana, Wilcox said in his online profile.

Wilcox also said safety on campus has to be the top priority.

“Safety Escort and other services created are all outstanding resources that I encourage students to utilize,” Wilcox said in an email. “The IUPD, with the support of the Bloomington City Police and the Monroe County Sheriff’s Department, are constantly evaluating their daily practices to ensure student safety. However, there is still a perception among a number of students that they are not always safe. We have to continue to work to eliminate any fear of safety on all IU campuses.”

Help and encouragement from IU staff and alumni have played a significant role for Wilcox professionally through the years of teaching and moving into administration, Wilcox said in his online profile.

He said he believes it is imperative graduates have the opportunity to connect with alumni association groups to network and open windows of opportunity for IU graduates.

“You join the 600,000 plus living alumni of the greatest major university in the world. An IU degree carries great respect all over the world,” Wilcox said in an email. “We, as current alumni, will work hard to provide each of you with windows of opportunity and open doors to jobs in your chosen field. ”

Wilcox received a bachelor’s of science in education and a master’s of science in administration from IU. His educational specialization was in school superintendency and doctorate in philosophy in education leadership from Indiana State University.

He is currently serving as superintendent of the Richland-Bean Blossom Community School Corporation, the experience from which he predicts will be his strength if elected the IU Alumni Trustee position.

“All three candidates love Indiana University and will serve our school well,” Wilcox said in an email. “I bring a unique perspective in two ways. I am entering my 26th year in public education working with students, teachers, administrators and local board of trustees. I was also fortunate as an IU student athlete to be a member of three football teams that played in bowl games. I am passionate about students getting connected, involved and completing their ?degree.”

While at IU, Wilcox was a member of the 1986 All-American Bowl, 1987 Peach Bowl and 1988 Liberty Bowl Football Teams.

Wilcox is available to be contacted by email at mwilcox4iutrustee@yahoo.com, on his “Vote Dr. Mike Wilcox for Indiana University Trustee” Facebook page or on Twitter @mwilcox61.