Robel makes trip to Vietnam

Indiana University representatives meet with officials from Vietnam National University in Hanoi. Pictured, from left, are Nguyen Tran Tien, dean of Oriental studies; Nguyen Thien Nam, dean of Vietnamese studies; Pham Quang Minh, vice rector; Lauren Robel, IU provost and executive vice president; Catherine Dyar, chief of staff to the provost; and Anh Tran, director of Vietnam Initiatives in the IU School of Public and Environmental Affairs.

Last week IU Provost Lauren Robel visited Vietnam to create and enhance ties between IU students and faculty with Vietnam, according to a press release.

The visit also included celebrations for the new IU Alumni Association chapter in Vietnam.

During her trip, Robel met with officials from Vietnam National University of Social Sciences and Humanities and the Vietnam National University of ?Science.

These meetings were intended to help promote collaborations in Southeast Asia, to advance progress toward an exchange with the School of Public and Environmental Affairs and to delve out summer research projects with the departments of biology and geology at IU, according to the release.

Additionally, Robel launched the U.S.-Vietnam Public Administration Co-Teaching Program at the National Academy of Public Administration.

This program will bring scholars from the U.S., including IU, to speak in Vietnam each month.

Currently, the IU Vietnam Initiatives program has the world’s largest hub for research and training in public policy for Vietnam outside the country, according to the release.

This research hub contributes to Vietnam’s good relationship with IU.

Last year, IU President Michael McRobbie made the first official trip of any standing IU president to Vietnam and one of the only major universities to do so nationwide, according to the release.

Robel has also met with the Ministry of Education and Training, which partially sponsors the Vietnam Young Leader Awards with SPEA.

This program brings around 15 government employees to Bloomington to partake in a two-year Master of Public Affairs ?program.

IU’s relationship with Vietnam will also benefit students on campus. IU already has more than 300 alumni affiliated with Vietnam and almost 40 students from Vietnam.

Robel will make a trip to Ho Chi Minh City on June 1 to visit the Fulbright School and meet with the director of the Fulbright Economics Teaching.

Four IU athletes will also visit Vietnam this month.