McRobbie recommends tuition freeze for Bloomington campus

From IDS reports

IU President Michael McRobbie made a recommendation to the Board of Trustees to freeze tuition rates for the next two years for Indiana residents on the IU-Bloomington campus, according to an IU press ?release.

IU Bloomington has the lowest average net cost of attendance in the Big Ten because of its efforts to control tuition, according to the release.

Recently, the Indiana General Assembly and Gov. Mike Pence appropriated a 6-percent budget increase for the IU Bloomington campus. This increase is part of the reason IU is able to consider freezing tuition rates.

“Indiana University is grateful for the strong support we received from the General Assembly, Gov. Pence and the commission in the recently concluded session,” McRobbie said in the release. “This support has allowed us to hold tuition once again to historically low levels, including the tuition freeze at IU Bloomington.”

McRobbie also recommended that nonresident student tuition rates increase by 1.5 percent during the next two years. Additionally, student tuition rates at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis and IU’s five regional campuses will average a 1.65-percent increase.

Also, IU has committed to setting banded tuition rates for IUPUI and IU’s regional campuses by the start of the 2016-17 academic year, according to the release. A banded structure means students would pay a set price for a range of course hours rather than by each credit hour, much like the system IU Bloomington already has in place.

Graduate student tuition rates will increase on average by 2 percent and are limited to a maximum increase of 3 percent. This, however, will vary from school to school. Additionally, nonresident graduate tuition rates will increase by just under 3 percent on average.

The IU trustees will have a meeting for public comment on the tuition recommendations at 3:30 p.m. June 3 in room 450A of the IUPUI Campus Center in Indianapolis. The meeting will also be streamed online at broadcast.iu.edu.

“These tuition recommendations reinforce our commitment to student affordability while allowing us to advance a positive agenda for IU’s future that is consistent with the needs of the state,” McRobbie said.

More