sports men's soccer

IU adds goalkeeper from IUPUI

Monday, IU announced the addition of Christian Lomeli, a goalkeeper who spent the last two seasons at IUPUI.

Lomeli will have two seasons of eligibility remaining after serving primarily as a backup at IUPUI. In total, Lomeli made 12 appearances, including eight starts, during his time at IUPUI.

"We are very excited to have Christian join us at IU,” IU Coach Todd Yeagley said in a press release. “He had an outstanding youth career with the Chicago Fire and has helped IUPUI in goal these past two seasons.”

Also in the release was the announcement that rising senior Michael Soderlund will miss all of next season due to injury. Soderlund started in 16 matches as a sophomore in 2013, garnering a record of 5-10-1 in goal.

Last season Soderlund did not make an appearance on the field as rising junior Colin Webb played every minute in goal for the Hoosiers.

Lomeli played a season at Crown Point High School, where he won a state championship in 2011, before moving to Lake Forest, Ill. to finish his high school career at Lake Forest Academy.

The goalkeeper was also a member of the Chicago Fire Academy U-18 squad.

Lomeli is the third new addition at goalkeeper for the Hoosiers, joining incoming freshmen Cody Jewett and Sean Caulfield.

“We are excited to bring in a goalkeeper with Christian's ability and college experience to ensure we stay strong in our goalkeeper position moving forward,” Yeagley said. 

Michael Hughes