Former IU Trustee Donald Danielson dies

Distinguished IU alumnus, philanthropist and business leader Donald C. Danielson died yesterday, according to an IU press ?release.

Danielson was the longest-serving trustee at IU, serving from 1959 to 1980. He served as the president of the IU Board of Trustees for 11 of those years.

“A true legend of IU, a proud Hoosier and a charismatic leader at the University going back to his days as an outstanding student in the late 1930s and early 1940s, he came to embody the best of our university through his visionary and tireless leadership, community engagement and philanthropic spirit,” IU President Michael McRobbie said in the release.

He was the recipient of several of IU’s highest honors, including the University Medal. He was one of only 16 total recipients. Danielson was also the recipient of the President’s Medal of Excellence and the Thomas Hart Benton Medallion.

“Danny’s dedication, initiative and generosity, which spawned numerous fundraising projects and endowment campaigns, contributed mightily to IU’s environment of excellence,” McRobbie said. “Only a select few individuals can match the impact he has had on our university. Indeed, his boundless love for his alma mater and remarkable achievements leave a legacy that will forever be woven into the fabric of IU.”