Former IU guard Stanford Robinson commits to Rhode Island

Sophomore guard Stan Robinson fights for the ball against Wichita State on Friday at CenturyLink Center in Omaha, Neb.

From IDS reports

Former IU guard Stanford Robinson committed to the University of Rhode Island Tuesday, according to his Instagram account. Robinson will have to sit out next season, per NCAA transfer rules, and then he will have two years of eligibility remaining.

Robinson, who visited Rhode Island Thursday, chose Rhode Island over Virginia Commonwealth University.

He also considered University Richmond and University of Alabama,Birmingham after IU granted him his release, according to ESPN.

The 6-foot-4 guard appeared in 31 of IU’s 34 games last season and made one start.

He averaged 3.0 points, 1.9 rebounds and 1.2 assists per game.

Robinson saw his playing time and production dwindle from his freshman to his sophomore season. IU announced on March 25 that the Landover, Md., native requested his release from his scholarship to “transfer to an institution closer to his home where he can earn more playing time.”

“I hope to find something that is closer to family and where I can have more of an impact on the court,” he said in the release. “I’ve loved everything about being at IU and am thankful for the support of Hoosier Nation.”

Rhode Island (22-9, 13-5) finished in third place in the Atlantic 10 Conference last season and lost in the second round.