Eleven students awarded grants for sustainability research

From IDS reports

Eleven IU students have been awarded grants for sustainability research through the Students Sustainability Research Grants program via the Office of Sustainability, according to an IU press release.

The grant program provides financial support to allow graduate students to pursue sustainability-related research.

Grant amounts spanned from $1,800 to $8,200.

Director of Sustainability, Bill Brown, said in the release that sustainability research often combines a variety of disciplines, which is reflected by the fields studied by this year’s ?recipients.

“Sustainability is a grand challenge that requires integration among multiple disciplines, as demonstrated by the joint support from these diverse sponsors and the wide range of research proposals submitted,” Brown said. “This seed funding will open up new doors for student research as Indiana University seeks to become an international leader in sustainability research, curriculum and campus operations.”

The grant program is co-sponsored by the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education, the School of Public Health, the College of Arts and Sciences, the Workshop in Political Theory and Policy Analysis, the Integrated Program in the Environment, the Office of Sustainability, the Graduate Professional Student Organization and the School of Public and Environmental Affairs.

This year’s award recipients come from a variety of academic backgrounds, including American studies, biology, chemistry, geology and ?mathematics.

The student recipients are Stefan Carpenter and Ursula Kreitmair, Alex Chambers, Natalie Christian, Hamed Gholizadeh, Michelle Lee, Katherine Lind, Joshua Mann, Richard Mercantonio, Anna Nowicki, Nathan Wisnoski and Ozan Yolasigmaz. For more information about the grant program, visit ?sustain.indiana.edu.