Free music festival to premiere today

The Bloomington Early Music Festival, offering six concerts by local, regional and national artists, starts tonight. The events through the weekend are free and open to anyone in the ?Bloomington community.

According to the festival’s official website, this event is a joint effort between Bloomington Early Music, a nonprofit that encourages the growth of early music performance in the region during the year, the IU Jacobs School of Music’s Historical Performance Institute, Project Jumpstart and the IU student organization ?Gamma Ut.

Events will start at 7 p.m. in Rachael’s Café. This concert will be structured as a pre-festival concert of pop music in early music style directed by Brady Lanier.

On Saturday in the ?Bloomington City Hall Atrium, there will be an instrument ‘petting zoo’ at the Farmers’ Market where families can touch and play exact replicas of instruments that are hundreds of years old. The event will also feature pop-up performances in early music performed by members of Gamma Ut.

The final event is an evening concert celebrating Stanley Ritchie, the organization’s founder, at 8 p.m. Sunday in Auer Hall. This performance will feature chamber music and light orchestral works performed by Jacobs School faculty, alumni and friends.

More information about specific events can be found at blemf.org.