April to transfer from IU

When IU picked up a commitment from five-star big man Thomas Bryant last month, it signaled the end of a current Hoosier’s career. Friday afternoon, Jeremiah April became that Hoosier.

The freshman center will transfer from IU to seek more playing time and a bigger role, the program announced ?Friday.

“Jeremiah informed us earlier of his desire to seek a different situation for himself,” IU Coach Tom Crean said in the release. “He would like an increased role and we are not able to ensure him this would happen. Our hope is that he would reach his potential wherever he chooses to go.”

April, a 6-foot-11 center from Westwood (Ariz.) Prep Academy, played just 17 minutes over four games this season. He appeared in just one Big Ten game.

“I want to thank Coach Crean and his staff for the opportunity and support and for helping me improve my game,” April said in the release. “My goal is to go somewhere I can have a bigger role.”

April becomes IU’s third transfer this year, joining Stanford Robinson and Max Hoetzel on their way out of ?Bloomington.

NCAA rules dictate each Division I men’s basketball program may award 13 scholarships. The addition of Bryant — paired with the returns of Troy Williams, James Blackmon Jr. and Yogi Ferrell — put IU at 14 for the upcoming season. April’s departure solves that problem.

Alden Woods