Wellness dance promotes healthcare in Native Americans

caFirstNations

The First Nations Educational and Cultural Center will have its Native American Health and Wellness Community Dance from ?11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday at the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center.

The event will feature free health screenings, a free lunch and native dance ?performances.

Along with FNECC, the event is sponsored by IU’s Native American Graduate Student Association and the American Indian Association of Indiana.

“It’s a cultural event that has a social and health mission,” Director of FNECC Brian Gilley said. “The community dance is a way to connect native peoples with health care services.”

Admission and health screenings, available onsite at the event, are free to anyone who attends.

“Health is one of the major issues facing native peoples,” Gilley said. “A lot of times they are reluctant to go to hospitals or to deal with institutions that are associated with white authority.”

Some of the health services available at the event are glucose and blood sugar checks and body mass ?screenings.

The health screenings are being offered and sponsored by the American Indian Association of Indiana.

Along with health screenings, there will be inter-tribal dancing and a host drum, the Stony Lonesome Singers.

“Most native communities have both a fall and spring dance,” Gilley said. “This is our spring celebration.”

FNECC program assistant Mary Connors said the event was popular last year. This will be its third year running.

“We had over 400 people from the University and ?general community last year,” Connors said in an email.

Although the event takes place at IU with Indiana-based organizations, the community dance has had attendees from out of state as well.

“Last year, people even came from the deep South and Canada,” Gilley said. “It’s a popular event, and it was way more popular than we thought.”

The popularity of the event has made it even easier to help Native Americans with health care.

“We’ve been able to connect not only natives in Indiana, but people outside the state who get engaged in the event,” Gilley said.

Gilley said the success and popularity of the event surprised them. Even though it’s geared toward natives, the event is open to everyone.

“All people are welcome, even if they’re not native,” Gilley said. “We welcome everyone, and we want people to come learn and participate.”