Take a study break, make pancakes

Instead of maple syrup, this recipe can use melted peanut butter as a topping.

With finals approaching and all those class projects culminating in calendars, I took to this weekend with one idea in mind: seeking solace in food.

In all honesty, what is better than chocolate when you need to indulge in food for happiness?

So I found a recipe for banana chocolate chip pancakes from the food blog “Crazy for Crust.” This recipe is great because you can convince yourself you are eating healthy because bananas are involved in the recipe. At least, that’s what I did.

Top them with warmed peanut butter and you can convince yourself these are healthy because protein is involved. Use nonfat milk and you are being even more health-conscious.

Really, I’ve learned you can rationalize anything you crave. In this world of uncertainty, don’t deny the simple pleasures of life.

allmwagn@indiana.edu

Ingredients

1 ½ cups of flour

2 tablespoons of brown sugar (remember to pack the sugar for proper measurements)

1 tablespoon baking powder

½ teaspoon of salt

½ teaspoon of cinnamon

1 cup of milk

1 egg

2 tablespoons of vegetable oil

½ teaspoon of vanilla extract

2 ripe bananas

¼ to ½ cup of chocolate chips (as many as you want)

Directions

1 Mix the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt into a large bowl.

2 In a different bowl, mix the egg, milk, oil and vanilla.

3 Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, adding just a little bit at a time to slowly mix and create the perfect consistency.

4 Mash the two bananas into a smooth, thick consistency and add to the batter.

5. Add the chocolate chips. Add enough to satisfy your soul.

6 Heat a large skillet on the stove and spray with cooking spray.

7 Drop pancake batter, as much as you desire for the size of the pancake, onto the skillet.

8 When the batter starts to bubble, flip the pancake. Take off the skillet when the bottom is golden brown and the pancake is cooked all the way through.

9 Top the pancakes with whipped cream or warm creamy peanut butter heated until thin.