Regional health complex to be built on IU driving range

From IDS reports

IU, IU Health and IU Health Bloomington announced today that they will be building a new regional academic health campus, which will be located at the current IU golf driving range.

This new health campus will include a home for the IU Health Bloomington Hospital, according to a ?University press release.

The health complex is still in its early planning stages, but it is expected to employ thousands in both construction and ?health-related fields.

It will also allow IU to expand its opportunities for students in disciplines such as social work, nursing, hearing and speech therapy and dentistry, according to the press release.

“This is a momentous occasion for Indiana University and IU Health — and for the city of Bloomington,” IU President Michael McRobbie said in the press release. “This plan will lead to the creation of the most comprehensive academic health campus in the state outside of Indianapolis and will bring together most of the IU Bloomington health science programs, and possibly additional programs, into one place co-located with the new IU Health Bloomington Hospital. This will considerably expand the opportunities for health sciences education and research at IU-Bloomington for innovative new programs in interprofessional education and for new clinical services at the new hospital.”

Hospital leadership will remain the same and will continue to be an IU Health entity, according to the ?press release.

Bloomington Hospital had previously announced a plan to build a new hospital to improve their outdated facilities. The new health complex will provide space for expansion as well as technology and research facilities.

The driving range will move to the current par-3 course, which is next to the driving range’s current ?location.

The 18-hole championship course will not be affected by the new health complex plans, according to the release.

IU also plans to build a new health education center on the site to increase students’ access to clinical opportunities with the hospital.

The design of the health complex will begin immediately, according to ?the release.

“This is a momentous day for our city and health care for the region,” Bloomington Mayor Mark Kruzan said in the release. “This announcement solidifies where the new hospital will be built and creates even further synergies between two of our community’s largest ?employers.”