One door closes, another stays open

Troy Lutgens, co-owner of Wee Willie's on the west side, has been working for the family business since 1990, and is the namesake of the restaurant.

The closing of Wee Willie’s on South Walnut Street came after the sudden death of store manager Roy Wathen, who ran the restaurant with owners Bill and Brenda Lutgens, Roy’s sister. Known for being able to do everything around the restaurant, Roy was a loss the Lutgens feared they could never replace, and the doors closed on the 48-year-old home-cooked meal ?establishment.

At the company’s other store in ?Ellettsville, Ind., the Lutgens’ son Troy carries the same notoriety.

He is in charge of the last piece of the current Wee Willie’s legacy, a role that suddenly has more meaning with Roy gone and more devoted patrons driving north for the same classic meal.

“Since they’ve closed, the pressure’s actually increased (to work like Roy),” Troy, 47, said. “So making sure it’s a little bit better quality would ?be priority.”

Troy estimated business saw a 30-percent increase this past Sunday. He said he expects the restaurant to only become busier. For the first time, he anticipates hiring people to host and bus tables. Employees from the Bloomington restaurant made the transition to working for its northern partner. And despite some of the major differences between the two places — brighter lighting, more seating, signs and the ability to pay with more than just cash — Troy aims to keep food and service the same.

“We have no intention of changing anything, so what people are used to, we’ll keep,” he said.

Wee Willie’s began as an A&W restaurant at its South Walnut Street location in 1967. In 1976, Bill changed it to his own independent ?company.

“He loves to play poker and cards,” Troy said. “His name’s William, and his card friends called him Willie. And then I came along: Wee.”

Troy, the Wee Willie, worked at the first Ellettsville location, a drive-thru service, from 1990 until 2002. The high customer rate drove them to create the full-sized restaurant that stands today.

“I don’t remember the first year (of working at the full restaurant),” he said. “I only remember bits and pieces. I worked from four in the morning to 12 or 1 at night just to keep this place and to keep learning ... Just because there wasn’t a business like this up here.”

The long hours have always been a part of the job. The Lutgens prepare fresh everything they can, including their orange juice. The dedication to family and time is what keeps customers ?coming back.

Troy said he also hopes to keep the same family atmosphere for customers, created, he said, by those in charge.

“It was Roy, Bill and Brenda in the kitchen for years, and they became like one person,” he said. “That’s what made that place so special. And we have that, but it kind of goes in spurts. People come and people go, and that’s what we’re trying to ?get to.”

Troy will look to find people who could fill that position at his restaurant in case he has to leave. Otherwise, his business will see the same fate as Roy’s.

“With the volume that we’ve increased, we have got to get more people,” he said.

But for now, he’ll take the crowd, including the rise in college-aged customers who frequently order hash brown casseroles — one of the most complicated menu items.

He said he realizes the transition will be tough but hopes their loyal customers stick with them.

“If you come in here and have not the great thing, give us time,” he said.