NAACP holds candidate forum

Just one week away from the primary election, the Monroe County Chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People met with Bloomington’s three ?mayoral candidates in a forum Tuesday night at the Second Baptist Church.

The candidates, John Hamilton, John Turnbull and Darryl Neher, took turns standing in front of the attendees, introducing themselves and answering questions. Each candidate had about 25 minutes to speak.

Hamilton was the first to speak. He discussed his background as a state ?government official under Gov. Frank O’Bannon and as a community organizer while he was living in Washington, D.C.

“I thought ‘What do I want to do in this city of Washington, D.C.?’” Hamilton said. “I’m a white guy from Indiana and I moved to D.C. ... I didn’t want to work in national government. I wanted to work in the city of Washington, D.C.”

Hamilton talked about his work with City First Enterprises, a non-profit bank holding company. Hamilton discussed how he saw the issue of redlining — the practice not lending money to people in poorer neighborhoods — while he lived in Washington D.C. and how he believes the ?digital divide is a new form of redlining.

Hamilton said Bloomington residents rely on Comcast or AT&T to build the digital infrastructure for their neighborhoods. Hamilton is proposing a plan for community owned broadband throughout ?Bloomington.

Hamilton was asked about the issue of homelessness and if the city ?suffered financially from acting as a hub for struggling people seeking social and government services and improving mental health and public ?education.

Next to speak at the forum was John Turnbull, the only Republican candidate for mayor. Turnbull currently works as the sports division director for the Bloomington Department of Parks and Recreation.

Turnbull talked about coming from a diverse and racially tense high school in Michigan.

“I am determined to recruit the most diverse and talented senior management team the city of Bloomington has ever seen,” Turnbull said.

Turnbull said the issues in Bloomington are not political ones. He mentioned the missing case of Lauren Spierer and the parking meters ordinance, among others. Turnbull said these issues are about ?management, not politics.

Turnbull addressed the issue of diversity in the Bloomington Police Department, how he thinks the state government is ?attacking public education, his support for the Affordable Care Act and networking with IU.

Last to come to the microphone Tuesday night was city council member and Kelly School of Business senior lecturer Darryl Neher.

Neher talked about his working class background coming from North ?Manchester, Ind. Neher said he was encouraged by current mayor Mark Kruzan and said his platform was based upon doing the essential task of the city government right.

“First and foremost I’m running on a platform that says we have an obligation to get the basics right,” ?Neher said. “You expect us to deliver the essential public services that you use every single day.”

Neher addressed issues such as affordable housing and how it relates to poverty in the city. Neher answered question on infrastructure, the city’s character and how he wants to see the space currently occupied by Bloomington Hospital be used after the IU Health move from ?Second Street to near the Indiana 46 Bypass.

The primary election is Tuesday.