sports softball

IU softball swept at Michigan

The IU softball team dropped all three games to No. 4 Michigan this weekend in Ann Arbor, Mich.

Play began Friday night when the Wolverines took care of the Hoosiers in just five innings, winning by a final score of 11-2.

The Hoosiers would strike first in the second inning after a Michigan error allowed junior Michelle Huber to cross the plate.

The Wolverines, however, responded in a big way. Michigan would go on to plate 10 runs in the bottom frame of the second inning to put the game out of reach early.

A bases-loaded walk from junior Kelsey Dotson would bring in freshman Rebecca Blitz and cut the lead to 10-2, but that’s the closest IU would get. After Michigan added another run in the fourth inning, the pitching staff for Michigan would go on to strike out 12 Hoosier batters, and the game would wrap up after five innings.

Play would continue Saturday, as game one of a doubleheader was much different from the first game of the series.

An impressive pitching performance from senior Lora Olson and a three-hit performance from Blitz kept the Hoosiers in the whole game, but the Wolverines would still walk away with a game two victory, 3-0.

The first run would not be scored until the third inning on back-to-back doubles from Michigan to grab a 1-0 lead. The next batter would hit a two-run home run that would give the Wolverines a 3-0 lead, the eventual final score.

Olson pitched six innings, giving up just three runs and one walk on her way to tossing her sixth complete game of the year.

Blitz’ three-hit day marked the fifth time this season the freshman has recorded at least three hits in a single day.

In the series finale, the Wolverines would finish off the three-game sweep of the Hoosiers in a 7-1 victory in the second game of a doubleheader.

Michigan continued to jump on the Hoosiers early, when a leadoff home run gave Michigan the early lead.

The Hoosiers loaded the bases in the fourth inning for senior Brianna Meyer, who brought in a run on an RBI single. However, a groundout and a strikeout would minimize the damage, as IU could only cut the lead to 2-1.

After Michigan extended the lead to 5-1 on a three-run home run, the chance came in the sixth inning for IU to crawl back into the game. A pair of walks got things going for the Hoosiers, until Michigan outfielder Kelly Christner made a diving grab on a Meyer fly ball and threw it back in to get Dotson for a double play.

Michigan would wrap the game up after adding two more runs in the sixth inning on a fielding error and a bases-loaded walk to make it 7-1.

The Hoosiers will now travel to Muncie to face Ball State in a midweek matchup Tuesday before hosting Purdue for a doubleheader Wednesday.

Michael Hernandez