IU softball prepares for doubleheader against Purdue

Senior In-Fielder Shannon Cawley prepares to swing her bat during IU's game against Rutgers on Sunday at the Andy Mohr Field.

IU has hit a mid-season rough patch. The Hoosiers (11-28, 2-7) have won only two of their last 12 games.

“Our team is competing, and we are in all these games,” IU Coach Michelle Gardner said. “We just need to do a few more things to come away with those wins.”

Senior Shannon Cawley said the team has yet to put together a complete game during the stretch.

“We’ve done a very good job of scoring runs, and we are scoring a lot as of late,” Cawley said. “But it seems like when our hitting is good our defense is lacking, or when our defense is good our hitting is lacking.”

She said she believes once they figure it out on both offense and defense, they will be dangerous.

Cawley and junior Kelsey Dotson have not had any trouble finding their rhythm this season.

Cawley had an impressive series last weekend against Maryland, as she drove in six runs and hit her second grand slam of the season Saturday. She leads the team with 36 RBIs and 43 hits and is second on the team with nine home runs.

“I’m in a really good place,” Cawley said. “I struggled a little at the beginning of the year because I was out the entire season last year, and I had to get back into doing what I have to do.”

Dotson is having the best season of her career. In 2014, she finished the year with 30 hits, five home runs and 23 RBIs. With more than a month left in the season, she has recorded 34 hits, 10 home runs and 34 RBIs.

“They have really been big,” Gardner said. “They have really shown a consistency throughout the season, and both of them have really set an example.”

The Hoosiers will look to continue to hit the ball well as they prepare for a mid-week doubleheader against in-state rival Purdue today.

“We need to run the table the rest of the season,” ?Cawley said. “We need to compete and come away with a couple of these series if we want to make the Big Ten Tournament.”

The Hoosiers are currently in 12th place, which is the last spot to make the ?tournament.