sports baseball

IU shortstop will not play against Rutgers

Junior shortstop Nick Ramos throws to first base during IU's home opener against Eastern Michigan on Mar. 10 at Bart Kaufman Field.

When the Hoosiers take the field this weekend at Bart Kaufman Field, they will once again be without one of their key players.

IU (18-11, 2-6) will have to play Rutgers (11-20, 5-4) without its opening day starting shortstop, junior Nick Ramos.

IU Coach Chris Lemonis said Wednesday that while Ramos’ health is improving, he will not be ready to play until sometime ?next week.

Lemonis said Ramos is back and practicing with the team after suffering an injury to his left hand during a practice in mid-March.

The last time Ramos started for IU was on March 11 in a 9-1 win against Eastern Michigan.

“Midweek next week is probably better for him,” Lemonis said. “He’s got all of the pins taken out and everything.”

Sophomore first baseman Austin Cangelosi returned to his position in the field Wednesday, playing all nine innings at first base and going 0-for-3 at the plate with a walk.

He sprained his left ankle running out an infield single March 31 during IU’s 7-3 win at ?Kentucky.

He had to come out of the game immediately and was unable to play for the entirety of last weekend’s series against ?Michigan.

He was able to play as a designated hitter in Sunday’s 4-3 loss against Michigan, going 0-for-4 at the plate.

Junior starting pitcher Kyle Hart also returned to the field Wednesday in IU’s 5-4 loss against Cincinnati.

Hart started and pitched two innings, striking out five batters.

It was the first time Hart has pitched since March 11 when he also threw two scoreless innings against Eastern Michigan.

“It was just two innings and we were happy to get him out there for those two innings,” ?Lemonis said. “Maybe he’ll be a guy who can help us out in our ?bullpen here.”

He is in the process of recovering from Tommy John surgery after he injured his throwing elbow March 30, 2014, in a game against Ohio State.

The starting pitchers against Rutgers will be Caleb Baragar, Jake Kelzer and Scott Effross, in that order.

IU currently sits in 10th place in the Big Ten, outside of the tournament field, while Rutgers is currently in fifth place.

An IU sweep of Rutgers would move the Hoosiers ahead of the Scarlet Knights in the Big Ten standings.